Re: PATCH/RFC: bzImage payload as compressed ELF file.

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Tue Jan 29 2008 - 13:38:25 EST

Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
H. Peter Anvin wrote:
It's also easy enough to either use objdump -h or nm to extract info from vmlinux; or for some of the simpler stuff, just parse the ELF directly (perhaps using libelf).

There is also the -R option to ld, which imports symbols from one executable into another.

Yes, I used -R, though it was necessary to generate a copy of vmlinux with a filtered symbol list to prevent collisions. But I'm not sure any of this is necessary with Ian's approach.

Probably isn't. He just need the start and possibly length of the payload section, which should be objdump -h or equivalently reading the ELF section table.

-hpa