Re: PATCH/RFC: bzImage payload as compressed ELF file.

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Tue Jan 29 2008 - 13:08:58 EST

Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
I solved that with some linker magic. One of the things I did was get rid of tools/build and did everything in the linker. And I worked out a trick where you can get the setup code to refer to vmlinux's symbols without actually linking it in (no, wait, was that to solve something else?).

It's also easy enough to either use objdump -h or nm to extract info from vmlinux; or for some of the simpler stuff, just parse the ELF directly (perhaps using libelf).

There is also the -R option to ld, which imports symbols from one executable into another.

-hpa