Re: [2.6 patch] let LOG_BUF_SHIFT default to 17

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Tue Jan 29 2008 - 02:35:51 EST

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 07:35:00AM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
> Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > 16 kB is often no longer enough for a normal boot of an UP system.
>
> Better would be to just disable by default/remove noisy messages
> to make the kernel boot output shorter.
>
> I think we got a lot of IMHO useless messages in there.

Nearly 25% of the messages in my dmesg come from ACPI.

Plus many other messages that cover these generic resources stuff (e.g.
BIOS map or ioport/iomem reservations).

All of these tend to be of great help when debugging driver regressions,
since diff'ing the dmesg's often is enough for determining whether it's
a driver problem or a PCI/ACPI/whatever problem.

> -Andi

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.