Re: Problem with ata layer in 2.6.24

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Mon Jan 28 2008 - 23:08:09 EST

On Monday 28 January 2008, Mark Lord wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>..
>
>> That's ok, dd seemed to do the job also.
>
>..
>
>The two programs operate entirely differently from each other,
>so it may still be worth trying the make_bad_sector utility there.
>
>dd goes through the regular kernel I/O calls,
>whereas make_bad_sector sends raw ATA commands
>directly (more or less) to the drive.

Humm, if it (the sector error) continues. I'm rather convinced that was a one
time transient item caused by doing so many hardware resets. It has not
repeated in subsequent stanzas of this error. Several times it went away
while the drives long self test was in progress, and the resets that go with
the reboot, or one of these errors seems to stop the long test, which from my
reading, should resume with no delay, but maybe that only applies to a
powerdown restart, which I haven't been doing. The last such error was about
11 hours ago now. I just started another long test, which if ok, should clear
the stuff its showing now because the test was interrupted. It has passed
that test twice before in the last 36 hours.

Thanks Mark.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)