Re: Problem with ata layer in 2.6.24

From: Mark Lord
Date: Mon Jan 28 2008 - 22:22:20 EST

Gene Heskett wrote:
On Monday 28 January 2008, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Monday 28 January 2008, Robert Hancock wrote:
[...]

Check the /etc/modprobe.conf file, a lot of distributions use this to
generate the initrd. If there's references to pata_amd it'll try and
include it.
Bingo! Thanks Robert, I'll try it again with that line commented. I wasn't
aware of that connection at all. Yup, it worked, I feel a reboot coming
on. :)

But it didn't work, apparently commenting that line out needs to be balanced by adding another line telling it amd74xx is the 'hostadapter', not necessarily scsi.

Can this be made more universal so I don't have to edit /etc/modprobe.conf?
..

You could really do it like Linus (and me), and not bother with modules
for critical services like hard disks.

Just build them *into* the core kernel (select "y" or "checkmark" rather
than "m" or "dot" for modules). This eliminates a ton of crap that can fail,
and may also make your kernel a micro-MIP faster (core memory is often mapped
without page table entries, whereas loaded modules use page tables.. slower, slightly).

Linus just edits the /boot/grub/menu.lst, and clones an existing boot entry
for the new kernel, editing the "kernel" line to match the name of the file
that got installed in /boot by "make install" (from the kernel directory).
He just leaves the ramdisk/initrd line as-was --> wrong version, but that's okay.

I totally get rid of them here, but that requires hardcoding the root=/dev/xxxx
part on the "kernel" line. No big deal, it works just fine that way.

Cheers