Re: Problem with ata layer in 2.6.24

From: Daniel Barkalow
Date: Mon Jan 28 2008 - 20:52:01 EST

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Monday 28 January 2008, Daniel Barkalow wrote:
> >>
> >> Or mine, which I've been using for years.
> >
> >You're ahead of a surprising number of people, including me, if you
> >understand making initrds.
>
> In my script, its one line:
> mkinitrd -f initrd-$VER.img $VER && \
>
> where $VER is the shell variable I edit to = the version number, located at
> the top of the script.
>
> Unforch, its failing:
> No module pata_amd found for kernel 2.6.24, aborting.
>
> This is with pata_amd turned off and its counterpart under ATA/RLL/etc turned
> on. So something is still dependent on it.

That looks like something in the guts of the initrd; it probably thinks
you need pata_amd and it's unhappy that you don't have it.

Actually, another thing to try is making the ATA/etc one be "y" and
pata_amd be "m". Most likely, this should lead to the ATA one claiming the
drive before the module is loaded (but the module would be loaded later,
to avoid upsetting the initrd); you should be able to tell from dmesg (or
/dev, for that matter) which one got it, and I think built-in drivers will
claim everything they can before an initrd gets loaded.

> I do have one sata drive, on an accessory card in the box, so I need the
> rest of the sata_sil and friends stuff.

Assuming it isn't picking up your hard drive, which it isn't, that
shouldn't matter.

-Daniel
*This .sig left intentionally blank*