Re: Problem with ata layer in 2.6.24

From: Andrey Borzenkov
Date: Mon Jan 28 2008 - 14:22:16 EST

On Monday 28 January 2008, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 28 January 2008, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
> >Richard Heck wrote:
> >>
> >> I think it'd be really, REALLY helpful to a lot of people if you, or
> >> someone, could explain in moderate detail how this might be done. I
> >> tried doing it myself, but I'm not sufficiently expert at configuring
> >> kernels that I was ever able to figure out how to do it.
> >
> >well, here on Mandriva I
> >
> >1) compile both IDE and libata as modules
> >2) create initrd that contains either IDE or libata modules
> >3) use labels for file system mounts, swaps and resume device.
> >

> >Now 1) should be pretty straightforward (I could send you config if you
> >like, it is stripped down to bare minimum on my system, you will have to
> >check drivers for your hardware). 2 and 3 are obviously distribution
> >dependent. I can explain how to do it on Mandriva that ATM has near to
> >perfect support for addressing devices via label/UUID; also ide/scsi/ata
> >switch is trivial using Mandriva mkinitrd.
> >

> I already build as modules, and it would be relatively easy to make 2 boot
> stanza's that used the different initrd's if there were examples that could
> be used as 'excludes' when building the initrd's. Is such a creature
> breedable?

I am not sure I understand a question (it is not my native language) but here I
simply do

mkinitrd --omit-ide-modules --preload pata_ali --preload sd_mod ...

or

mkinitrd --omit-scsi-modules --preload alim15x3 --preload ide-disk ...

If you ask how --omit part is implemented I happily send you mkinitrd script.