Re: 2.6.24 regression: Wake On Lan in sky2 broken on Mac mini

From: Mikael Pettersson
Date: Mon Jan 28 2008 - 08:38:28 EST

Ingo Molnar writes:

> * Mikael Pettersson <mikpe@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > Now I tried the 2.6.24 release and noticed that WOL is still
> > > broken. I'll be happy to test any patches that can make it into
> > > 2.6.24.1.

> lkml is the right mailing list for reporting Linux bugs.
>
> this is an extermely harmful trend i've seen lately: some kernel hackers
> going out on a limb directing the flow of bugreports _away_ from lkml,
> by suggesting to testers that lkml is somehow inappropriate for
> reporting Linux kernel bugs.
>
> It's not even the standard "I Cc:-ed netdev, maybe they are interested
> in this" message but the above, plain incorrect: "this is the wrong
> mailing list" message.
>
> Mikael, what you do is as harmful to Linux as if you were intentionally
> putting bugs into the kernel source. In fact it's more harmful because
> it is irreversible: bugs you put into Linux i can fix and i can review
> all past patches you did to undo the damage - tester attention and
> feedback you redirect we cannot direct back.

Ok, I can see how my overly terse statement could be interpreted
in this way, and I apologize for that.

However, it _is_ a fact that there is a proliferation of specialized
mailing lists, and it is also a fact that many developers _only_ read
those lists. I'm in no way defending this behaviour, on the contrary
I probably dislike it as much as you do. But we can't ignore it.

I should of course have written something like "please cc: <whateverlist>"
instead of the stupid "wrong mailing" list comment.

> Stop it!

Gladly.