Custom PCIe Device Driver

From: Sanka Piyaratna
Date: Sat Jan 26 2008 - 08:15:56 EST

Hi Everyone,

I am currently developing a custom PCIe device and the Linux kernel driver for this. I am able to use the device as a character device with PIO and now I am working on getting the DMA to work. I have implemented 2 BARs (BAR0 - mem and BAR5 - mem) in the PCIe device. I have implemented the DMA in my custom device firmware to transfer a block of memory via the PCIe bus and now trying to get this to work with the device driver.

As I understand it, I can get hold of the PCI bus to become the bus master and then initiate the DMA transfer from my device. However, I don't understand how I can specify within my kernel driver how to specify which BAR to use.

Does this mean when I initiate a transfer from the hardware, the memory get transferred into the location allocated by by pci_map_single() function regardless of which BAR the memory comes from? or do I need to specify the BAR using a mask?

Would some one be able to point me to an example code please?

Thanks and Regards,

Sanka