Re: 2.6.24-rc6-mm1

From: Torsten Kaiser
Date: Fri Jan 25 2008 - 16:06:41 EST

Sorry for the *really* late answer, but I did not have any time to do
linux things the last weeks. :-(

On Jan 7, 2008 7:16 AM, FUJITA Tomonori <fujita.tomonori@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 21:03:42 +0100
> "Torsten Kaiser" <just.for.lkml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Jan 6, 2008 2:33 PM, FUJITA Tomonori <tomof@xxxxxxx> wrote:

-> This is the revert-patch I'm talking about later

> > > Thanks for testing,
> >
> > OK, I'm still testing this, but after 95 completed packages I'm rather
> > certain that reverting the IOMMU changes with this patch fixes my
> > problem.
> > I didn't have time to look more into this, so I can't offer any
> > concrete ideas where the bug is.

Until my last mail from 7. Jan this was true, that I was not able to
crash 2.6.24-rc6-mm1 with above patch.
But after testing 2.6.24-rc7 with only the IOMMU changes applied it
did crash once again.

After looking at the patch that seems rather expected as it only
touches powerpc code.
(I only looked at its diffstat after testing it, so I was not aware of
that fact during testing)

> > If you send more patches, I'm willing to test them, but it might take
> > some more time during the next week.
>
> Can you try 2.6.24-rc7 + the IOMMU changes?
>
> The patches are available at:
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tomo/iommu/
>
> Or if you prefer the git tree:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tomo/linux-2.6-misc.git iommu-sg-fixes
>

> I've looked at the changes to GART but they are straightforward and
> don't look wrong...

The resulting 2.6.24-rc7 kernel worked for me. I compiled 146 packages
without a crash.

Today I finally had some time for debugging again and tried the new
2.6.24-rc8-mm1.
The crash is still there, I will report that crash in current thread.

Torsten