Re: 2.6.24-rc8-git does not boot on Geode LX

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Sun Jan 20 2008 - 12:39:55 EST

Hi Arnd,

On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 02:42:32PM +0100, Arnd Hannemann wrote:
> > I've just pulled latest -git and tried this morning in on one of my ALIX
> > mobos equipped with an AMD Geode LX800 + CS5536. HEAD is a7da60f41551*.
>
> We boot 2.6.24-rc8 on these mainboards, which BIOS version do you use?

Just checked: 0.98

> Did you try to boot with nomfgpt?

Just did, it works perfectly that way, thanks very much!

I will try to investigate why this is necessary now. Last 2.6.22.X I used
was patched with a geode-mfgpt patch I found which enabled the watchdog
(and which worked). So I believe that it will not work anymore right now.

> In my experiments disabling CONFIG_GEODE_MFGPT_TIMER won't be enough to
> boot 2.6.24-rc8 on a v0.98 bios or on a v0.99 bios with MFGPT workaround
> turned on in the bios menu.
> Otherwise the system will hang in arch/x86/kernel/mfgpt_32.c while
> trying to detect MFGPT timers.
> To clearify, for us the following works:
> v0.99 bios, MFGPT workaround turned off in bios and
> CONFIG_GEODE_MFGPT_TIMER=n

I will also check BIOS v0.99 sometime later.

Thanks very much for your quick and insightful response!

Willy