Re: [Patch] document ext3 requirements (was Re: [RFD] Incrementalfsck)

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Fri Jan 18 2008 - 10:32:52 EST

Bryan Henderson wrote:

We weren't actually talking about writing out the cache. While that was part of an earlier thread which ultimately conceded that disk drives most probably do not use the spinning disk energy to write out the cache, the claim was then made that the drive at least survives long enough to finish writing the sector it was writing, thereby maintaining the integrity of the data at the drive level. People often say that a disk drive guarantees atomic writes at the sector level even in the face of a power failure.

But I heard some years ago from a disk drive engineer that that is a myth just like the rotational energy thing. I added that to the discussion, but admitted that I haven't actually seen a disk drive write a partial sector.

Did he work for Maxtor, by any chance? :-/

A disk drive whose power is cut needs to have enough residual power to park its heads (or *massive* data loss will occur), and at that point it might as well keep enough on hand to finish an in-progress sector write.

There are two possible sources of onboard temporary power: a large enough capacitor, or the rotational energy of the platters (an electrical motor also being a generator.) I don't care which one they use, but they need to do something.

-hpa