Re: [Patch] document ext3 requirements (was Re: [RFD] Incrementalfsck)

From: Ric Wheeler
Date: Thu Jan 17 2008 - 18:21:41 EST

Theodore Tso wrote:
On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 09:02:50PM -0500, Daniel Phillips wrote:
Have you observed that in the wild? A former engineer of a disk drive
company suggests to me that the capacitors on the board provide enough
power to complete the last sector, even to park the head.

Even if true (which I doubt), this is not implemented.

A modern drive can have 16-32 MB of write cache. Worst case, those sectors are not sequential which implies lots of head movement.

The problem isn't with the disk drive; it's from the DRAM, which tend
to be much more voltage sensitive than the hard drives --- so it's
quite likely that you could end up DMA'ing garbage from the memory.
In fact the fact that the disk drives lasts longer due to capacitors
on the board, rotational inertia of the platters, etc., is part of the
problem.

I can tell you directly that when you drop power to a drive, you will lose write cache data if the write cache is enabled. With barriers enabled, our testing shows that file systems survive power failures which routinely caused corruption without them ;-)

ric