Re: [patch 2/2] 8250_pnp: register x86 COM ports at the conventionalttyS names

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Wed Jan 16 2008 - 14:59:35 EST

Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
+
Arguably, the right thing is to use the addresses present in the array at address 0x400. In particular, COM3 and COM4 aren't always at those addresses.

Wow. I bow before your storehouse of x86 arcana :-)

I guess you're referring to the "BIOS data area," which I'd never
heard of before (but fortunately, Google knows).

What would you think about doing this only for COM1 and COM2? The
only real value for doing this in the first place is so "console=ttyS0"
always goes to COM1, even if we don't have SERIAL_PORT_DFNS. User-
space ought to use some sort of udev magic if it cares about persistent
naming.

Well, there are four ports that the BIOS have slots for, and if so, we probably should use them.

-hpa