Re: [Patch] document ext3 requirements (was Re: [RFD] Incrementalfsck)

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Wed Jan 16 2008 - 06:49:45 EST

Hi!

> Along with this effort, could you let me know if the world actually
> cares about online fsck?

I'm not the world's spokeperson (yet ;-).

> Now we know how to do it I think, but is it
> worth the effort.

ext3's "lets fsck on every 20 mounts" is good idea, but it can be
annoying when developing. Having option to fsck while filesystem is
online takes that annoyance away.

So yes, it would be very useful for me...

For long-running servers, this may be less of a problem... but OTOH
their filesystems are not checked at all as long servers are
online... so online fsck is actually important there, too, but for
other reasons.

So yes, it is very useful for world.

Pavel