Re: [alsa-devel] PNP_DRIVER_RES_DISABLE breaks swsusp at least with snd_cs4236

From: Ondrej Zary
Date: Sat Jan 12 2008 - 11:47:38 EST

On Saturday 12 January 2008 16:21:50 Pierre Ossman wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 14:39:47 +0100
>
> Rene Herman <rene.herman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 12-01-08 12:12, Pierre Ossman wrote:
> > > I'm a bit confused here. Bjorn Helgaas wanted to remove the
> > > pnp_start/stop_dev() calls completely, and you want them called all the
> > > time. :)
> >
> > Wanted where? Haven't seen a coment from Bjorn? But -- while removing
> > them both looks (as) sensible from a mirror-image viewpoint, this
> > wouldn't fix the problem.
>
> Ah, sorry. It was a different thread. Look for a mail with the subject
> "PNP: do not stop/start devices in suspend/resume path" in the LKML och
> linux-pm archives.
>
> > But we certainly need the pnp_start_dev() in the current flow of things.
> > It not being called is the problem this fixes...
>
> I think the previous suggestion was that the drivers should call this, not
> the core, so that it behaved more like other parts of the kernel (e.g.
> PCI).

I don't think that drivers should call pnp_start_dev() on resume. All drivers
would need to call it as all PnP cards are disabled after boot. No driver
does that currently.

3c509 driver doesn't seem to register as pnp_card_driver so that's probably
why it's not enable after resume. I guess that more ISA PnP drivers have this
problem. I have some other PnP network and sound cards so I'll test them.

--
Ondrej Zary