Re: 2.6.24-rc7, intel audio: alsa doesn't say a beep

From: Harald Dunkel
Date: Fri Jan 11 2008 - 16:55:43 EST

Takashi Iwai wrote:
At Thu, 10 Jan 2008 23:02:53 +0100,
Harald Dunkel wrote:
Takashi Iwai wrote:
Hm... Just to be sure, try the patch below. It's a clean up patch
that I'd like to apply later.

Sorry, no sound.

OK, but I'd like to know whether this makes no regression to rc6.
Could you check?

"Regression" sounds like a test suite to me, verifying that the
old problems didn't come back. Maybe you could send me a pointer?

Of course I didn't try that much yet. The kernel booted as expected,
I saw XWindow running, the mouse pointer was moving, etc. There was
just no sound, as before with rc7.

Also, what exactly did you test? "No sound" means that no sound from
the headphone / line-out or from the speaker?

Speaker and first headphone are the same on this laptop. If I plugin
the headphone, then the tiny speakers are disconnected. But for the
last tests no headphone was plugged in.

I tested it by running gnome-alsamixer. I tried to switch off and
on the mute buttons, change the volume and other sliders, etc.

One interesting test would be to increase the value of udelay() in the
reverted patch. What happens if it's set to 500?

I will try tomorrow. What exactly is this delay good for?

The perex/alsa.git mm branch on kernel.org has many fixes. Could you
give it a try, too?

This version seems to work. But AFAICS it just reverts hda_intel.c back
to rc6 again, so this is no surprise.

Use mm branch. The main branch is just an old Linus tree.

AFAICS I did use the mm branch. The command to grab the sources was

git-clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/perex/alsa.git mm

Is this correct?

Regards

Harri