Re: hwclock failure in x86.git

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Thu Jan 10 2008 - 18:33:19 EST

Kevin Winchester wrote:
My first time building and booting the mm branch of x86.git was pretty
successful. The only error I noticed was the following in my dmesg:

hwclock[622] general protection ip:804b226 sp:bff43e30 error:0

I'm not sure exactly how to debug this. I could bisect, but there seems
to be some useful debug information in there, so there might be
something better to try first.

That's a userspace IP; it implies the userspace hwclock binary did something bad, or the kernel didn't permit it to do something it should have. The best thing to do would probably to strace hwclock and see what it did when it died.

-hpa