kinit (was: sleep before boot panic)

From: Ingo Oeser
Date: Thu Jan 10 2008 - 14:18:50 EST

On Wednesday 09 January 2008, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Pavel Machek wrote:
> >
> >> Of course, if we'd been using kinit, "soft panic" would
> >> have been done exclusively in userspace...
> >
> > What's the status of kinit, btw?
> > Pavel
>
> It's bitrotted a bit since it was first rejected. It wouldn't take too
> much work to bring it back up to speed, however. klibc, and some of the
> kinit components, are used for the initramfs in Debian.

Yes, and I like most of it. The only thing really missing for me
is LVM support. Debian (?) did a evil hack to make it work.
Maybe one day this itches soo much, I'll even scratch it :-)

Then I'll be able to test kernels on a standard LVM installation again.

So please keep up the good work!

Best Regards

Ingo Oeser