Re: The ext3 way of journalling

From: Lennart Sorensen
Date: Thu Jan 10 2008 - 09:02:22 EST

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 12:30:31PM +0100, Helge Hafting wrote:
> >- fstab -
> >LABEL=root / xfs defaults,noatime 0 1
> >LABEL=boot /boot ext2 defaults,noatime 0 2
> >
> Would've been nice if they worked, but they don't.
>
> Disks should be so easy to identify uniquely, because they have
> storage space that can be used for that label.
>
> So I tried (debian linux, last year).
>
> Mount by label was fine, of course.
> Until the 33rd reboot, when it was decided that a
> fsck was necessary "just to be safe". The problem was that fsck
> fail to find the correct device when /etc/fstab specifies a label
> instead of a device. The boot failed, reboot with init=/bin/sh
> and replace the dysfunctional labels with oldfashioned device names.
>
> I can live with this kind of problem on my desktop, but this machine
> was going to be a internet router for a customer, so occational
> boot failure requiring intervention was not an option.

I use this:
UUID=35963d32-f15e-497e-859a-ed1cb366b0f3 / ext3 defaults 0 1

No problem with fsck or anything on my debian system. I had problems
trying to use LABELs but UUID always worked when I tried it. Back under
sarge I had problems getting it to work though.

Works much better than trying to use disk names, since I have 3
different IDE controllers and the modules seem to never quite initialize
in the same order every time from the initramfs.

--
Len Sorensen