Re: [patch] split MMC_CAP_4_BIT_DATA

From: Bryan Wu
Date: Thu Jan 10 2008 - 04:23:31 EST

On Jan 10, 2008 4:54 PM, Pierre Ossman <drzeus-mmc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 00:45:27 +0800
> "Bryan Wu" <cooloney.lkml@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > Actually, Blackfin BF54x on-chip SDIO host controller is supposed to
> > support 1-bit and 4-bit MMC or SD. But in the real platform, when MMC
> > works at 4-bit mode there will be a FIFO underrun error
> > (http://blackfin.uclinux.org/gf/project/uclinux-dist/tracker/?action=TrackerItemEdit&tracker_item_id=3535).
> > While SD works at 4-bit mode is OK. We believe this is a hardware
> > issue of the SDIO host controller of BF54x.
>
> Odd. As there shouldn't be a difference, I'm inclined to believe that this is card dependent. So it could as well appear with some SD cards as well.

At page 4-3 of ADSP-BF54x Blackfin(R) Processor Peripheral Hardware
Reference, there is a table which guide us the SDH controller does not
support 4-bit mode MMC card. Please found the table picture in the
attachment or get the document at:
http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Associated_Docs/61460151169789ADSP_BF54x_Blackfin_Processor_Peripheral_Hardware_Reference.pdf

> How much have you tested this issue? That tracker entry isn't very verbose.
>
> Also, how can an underrun appear? The system should have flow control. And an underrun does not sound like a bus problem, rather that you have a card with different speed characteristics than the hardware/driver can handle.

I am sorry for this mistake. This tracker is not for this 4-bit issue,
it is another bug which should be fixed by Cliff.

> > We intend to workaround in our own BF54x SDIO host controller driver,
> > but there is no place for us to determine MMC or SD. One choice is to
> > hack common code like this:
>
> _If_ it truly cannot handle 4-bit MMC, then Mike's patch is the way to go. But I'm not yet convinced that the problem is related to MMC vs SD.

Thanks, actually we are not yet convinced by our hardware designer
why BF54x SDH does not support 4-bit MMC.