Re: Make the 32 bit Frame Pointer backtracer fall back totraditional

From: Harvey Harrison
Date: Thu Jan 10 2008 - 01:22:10 EST

On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 22:05 -0800, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> Subject: Make the 32 bit Frame Pointer backtracer fall back to traditional
> From: Arjan van de Ven <arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> The 32 bit Frame Pointer backtracer code checks if the EBP is valid
> to do a backtrace; however currently on a failure it just gives up
> and prints nothing. That's not very nice; we can do better and still
> print a decent backtrace.
>
> This patch changes the backtracer to fall back to the non-framepointer
> backtracer if the EBP value isn't within the expected range; so on weird
> stack corruption cases we get at least something out...

Arjan, I've been doing some work on traps_32.c porting over the
oops_begin()/oops_end()/_die() arrangement from traps_64.c and
then use it in unifying some more parts of fault.c.

If you have other work in this area, I'll hold off until your stuff
goes in...feel free to send me any work in progress stuff and I can
try to coordinate with you.

Harvey