Re: + restore-missing-sysfs-max_cstate-attr.patch added to -mm tree

From: Len Brown
Date: Mon Jan 07 2008 - 14:14:19 EST

1. Why does VMware need max_cstate=1 to load quickly?
It should not, and the fact that it does means
that something somewhere is seriously broken.

2. Why does the "max_csate=1" workaround help only
on the dual-core boxes, while the single-core
boxes still fail to load quickly?

I'm glad that we deleted run-time access to max_cstate --
it seems to have exposed a real bug that needs fixing
and has gone unreported until now.

Indeed, when the real bug is fixed, I propose that
we again move to delete max_cstate as a run-time API.

-Len