Re: [2.6.25 patch] remove a.out interpreter for ELF executables

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Sat Jan 05 2008 - 04:46:56 EST

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 01:30:53AM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 15:36:32 +0100 Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday 01 January 2008 14:47:49 Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > > This patch contains the scheduled removal of the a.out interpreter
> > > support for ELF executables.
> >
> > I already have a similar patch queued
> >
> > ftp://ftp.firstfloor.org/pub/ak/x86_64/quilt/patches/remove-aout-interpreter
> >
> > Also removal of the old unused iBCS hooks while I was on it
> >
> > ftp://ftp.firstfloor.org/pub/ak/x86_64/quilt/patches/remove-ibcs-support
> >

> Guys, please take a look at similar patches from David in -mm before even
> vaguely thinking of breathing anywhere in the remote vicinity of
> fs/binfmt_elf.c (sob).

What David's patch does in fs/binfmt_elf.c is to make code conditional -
exactly the code Andi removes as scheduled in 2.6.25. You should be able
to simply drop the fs/binfmt_elf.c parts from
aout-suppress-aout-library-support-if-config_arch_supports_aout.patch.

cu
Adrian

BTW: There are also patch conflicts with git-x86, but since they are not
from David you have yet to ask us to look at them. ;-)

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed