Re: PIT clocksource makes invalid assumptions

From: Dan Hecht
Date: Fri Jan 04 2008 - 15:56:00 EST

On 01/04/2008 12:18 PM, john stultz wrote:
On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 15:52 -0800, Dan Hecht wrote:
Looking at pit_read() in arch/x86/kernel/i8253.c, it seems that the PIT clocksource code assumes that the PIT CH0 is in periodic mode. With clockevents, this assumption is no longer valid. There are at least two places that make this assumption:

1) The calculation at the end of pit_read() assumes that the PIT is in periodic mode. This isn't true unless the PIT is the current clockevent and nohz is inactive. (Though #2 can end up forcing the PIT to be reprogrammed).

2) The PIT clockevent is shutdown by using PIT mode 0 (interrupt on terminal count) -- doesn't the PIT counter continue to count (even though it won't be raising an interrupt)? If so, the test in pit_read() under the VIA686a comment can succeed after the PIT clockevent has been shutdown, and the PIT hardware may be reprogrammed to start firing interrupts again. This doesn't seem intentional, and can defeat nohz since now the PIT is firing periodically.

Seems these problems can happen when the PIT is used as the clocksource or even just the clocksource watchdog. It looks like there is some code in clocksource.c that checks for CLOCK_SOURCE_IS_CONTINUOUS, which is not set for the PIT clocksource, but it doesn't seem to be strong enough to prevent these problematic scenarios (and it's not clear if that is the intent of IS_CONTINUOUS anyway).

The clocksource in use must have IS_CONTINUOUS set before we go into
HRT/no_hz mode, so I think the situations above should not be possible
(although I've not had a chance to check the current code).

Yes, I think that is correct. But, I don't think the code (always) prevents nohz mode when the clocksource *watchdog* is !IS_CONTINUOUS.

Anyway, the bug doesn't require that nohz mode is enabled, it just requires that the PIT clockevent is shutdown (or otherwise not programmed in periodic mode).

To verify this really can happen, when I boot a kernel, I can see this sequence:

init_pit_timer (with mode==CLOCK_EVT_MODE_PERIODIC)
init_pit_timer (with mode==CLOCK_EVT_MODE_UNUSED)
init_pit_timer (with mode==CLOCK_EVT_MODE_SHUTDOWN)
pit_read() and count > LATCH (I believe the PIT is the watchdog at this point), which causes the PIT to raise periodic interrupts.

(Shortly after, the acpi pm clocksource is registered and replaces the PIT as the watchdog. Later, the PIT clockevent is used as the broadcast clockevent and reprogrammed into one-shot mode, stopping the PIT interrupts.)

Also, the user could force the PIT clocksource to be current_clocksource even though the PIT is in one-shot mode (and therefore the calculation in pit_read is bogus).

Does this actually happen and cause problems? I thought there was some
code to make sure we disable HRT/no_hz if we install a clocksource that
does not have IS_CONTINUOUS set.

I didn't check if nohz was disabled when the PIT clocksource is switched to, but I did check that the PIT was not the active clockevent, which is enough for this bug.

I also didn't do a whole lot of digging to see what the problems this bug can cause in practice, but after the PIT clocksource was installed, I tried 'sleep 1' and this did not wake up.

Thanks,
Dan