memory remapping, 4gb memory on 945gt

From: felix-linuxkernel
Date: Fri Jan 04 2008 - 10:56:09 EST

I recently put 4 GB of memory in my Acer Travelmate 8210 series
notebook. The BIOS only detects 3 GB.

I googled around a little. It appears to be a chipset limitation of the
945gt, which uses the fourth gig for devices.

Now I can understand this explanation for 32-bit mode, but I'm running
in 64-bit mode. There should be a way to use the fourth gig under
Linux. Is there?

Has anyone else solved this problem? What happens if you just use the
mem= option to tell the kernel you have 4 GB? I'd just try it but I
don't want to corrupt my buffer cache and get crap writte over my data
on disk.

Any advice?

Felix