Re: Kbuild update

From: Sam Ravnborg
Date: Fri Jan 04 2008 - 09:40:08 EST

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 09:23:16PM +0800, WANG Cong wrote:

> {snip}
>
> >TODO items (from my mailbox - I have plenty more)
> >=================================================
> >- asm-offset useable from modules (Oleg had a half backed solution)
> >- modpost should use err(), warn() etc (suggestyed by Rusty)
> >- less kernel hardcoding in kconfig (Rob Landley)
> >- emit dependencies from "depends" (Bernhard Fischer)
> >- fix select (whatever that means)
> >- allow kconfig to accept overrides (Jan Engelhart)
> > maybe there is a patch, needs followup
> >- document kernel build better (Andreas Hermann)
> > just a start, more is needed
> >- save ARCH and CROSSCOMPILE
> > requires major surgery to do correct - we use CC too early
> >- i18n patch for mconf and friends (from Kernel Translator project)
> > is old but several bits of it needs to be applied to better support i18n
>
> Hmm, I glanced at that project. It's old and seems freezed now.
> I don't know if people still have interests in the i18n of kconfig.
> If so, I think I can help with the Chinese part. ;)

>From the off-list communication I have had there is indeed an interest.
It sort of stopped at one point due to missing integration in mainline.
What I refer to is mostly the mconf.c bits, but I would also like to
see what lkml says to a sample of .po files included in the kernel
for a number of languages.

One criteria to get a .po file integrated could be at least 10% of the
strings translated or similar.

Sam