Re: isofs oops - d_splice_alias+0x1f (2.6.24-rc5-mm1)

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Jan 04 2008 - 08:30:39 EST

* David Howells <dhowells@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > FWIW, this patch pile is getting ridiculous - it's what, original +
> > 2 fixes in -mm + mine + this one? Could you post the updated patch
> > with all fixes and fixes to fixes folded into it?
>
> I can, though Andrew usually objects to that.

folding often results in commit messages and hence credit lost - and
thus discourages test/review feedback and bugfixing. It's also easier to
see the track record/history of a patch if the fixes are in separate
patches. It's also easier to undo a 'fix' (and track the state/version
of changes) if it turns out to be a bad fix. If things get spaghetti
then a new splitup indeed helps (for larger patchsets), and Andrew
usually asks for a new splitup in that case. Andrew often folds patches
together right before sending it off to Linus (while constructing
combined credit - so credit is not lost).

Ingo