Re: Believed resolved: SATA kern-buffRd read slow: based on promisedriver bug

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Thu Jan 03 2008 - 21:50:38 EST

Linda Walsh wrote:
I seem to remember reading about some problems with Promise SATA & ACPI.
Does this address that or is that a separate issue? (Am using no-acpi for
now, but would like to try acpi again if it may be fixed (last time I tried
it with this card, "sdb" went "offline" (once it unmounted itself and
refused to be remounted (no error...just nothing), and another it stayed
mounted, but gave an I/O Error...so have been using no-acpi since).
An ACPI error in bootup said:
ACPI Exception (utmutex-0263): AE_BAD_PARAMETER, Thread EFFC2000 could not acquire Mutex [3] [20070126]

Have you tried 2.6.24-rc6? If the problem still occurs there, you should post the full bootup log.

Is the above bug mentioned/discussed in the linux-ide archives? That
and I'd like to find out why TCQ/NCQ doesn't work with the Seagate drives --
my guess, since they say queuedepth of 0/32, is that they are blacklisted
as being drives that don't follow normal protocol or implement their
own proprietary extensions? Sigh. Really a lame move (if that's the case)
for Seagate, considering they usage they could likely get in server
configs. Maybe they want to push their SCSI/SAS drives?

Queue depth 0/32 means the drive supports a queue depth of 32 but the controller/driver don't support NCQ.

BTW, can SATA have DPO or FUA or are those limited to SCSI?
Would it be a desirable future addition to remove the
"doesn't support DPO or FUA" error message" on SATA drives if they are
specific to SCSI?

ATA disks can have FUA support, but the support is disabled in libata by default. (There's a fua parameter on libata module to enable it I believe.)