Re: [patch 1/3] move WARN_ON() out of line

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Jan 03 2008 - 04:25:27 EST

* Arjan van de Ven <arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> +#define WARN_ON(condition) do_warn_on((unsigned long)(condition), __FILE__, \
> + __LINE__, __FUNCTION__)

hm. This passes in 4 arguments to do_warn_on().

i think we could get away with no arguments (!), by using section
tricks. Firstly, we can get rid of __FUNCTION__ and replace it with a
ksyms lookup - that is fine enough. Secondly, we could put __FILE__ and
__LINE__ into a text section and key it up to the return address from
do_warn_on().

the condition code should not be passed in at all i think - it creates
extra function calls to do_warn_on() all the time.

Ingo