Re: [patch] scsi: revert "[SCSI] Get rid of scsi_cmnd->done"

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Jan 02 2008 - 15:50:11 EST

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> I think you misunderstood Matthew here. REQ_TYPE_BLOCK_PC is indeed
> used by any kind of SG_IO or similar passthrough no matter where it
> originates. And exactly because REQ_TYPE_BLOCK_PC are entirely passthru
> the actual driver (sd, sr or sg) is not doing the actual command
> completion but it's handled in the scsi layer because it's exactly
> the same no matter what driver it came on.

You say that, but you then ignore that something *did* change.

Maybe it's not that one suspicious test. Maybe it's somethign else. But
that commit was confirmed to break something, almost two months ago. You
guys seem to be in denial, and saying "it didn't change anything".

And no, waiting for more reporters when one reporter has already narrowed
it down to the exact (smallish) commit, is simply not good. Either you can
fix it by looking at the source, or it gets reverted.

I was hoping somebody in SCSI-land would actually look at the commit and
try to find out what's wrong, instead of all of you apparently trying to
say "nothing is wrong".

I hate the excuses of "but, but, but.. it *should* work". It doesn't. Face
that, *then* you can argue about why.

Linus