Re: [RFC] libusb / in-kernel usb driver criteria (was: USB driverfor talking to the Microchip PIC18 boot loader)

From: Paulo Marques
Date: Wed Jan 02 2008 - 14:59:29 EST

Xiaofan Chen wrote:
On Dec 30, 2007 11:53 AM, mgross <640e9920@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
What is the linux-usb policies on new drivers that could be
implemented in user space? When does a kernel driver make sense over
a libusb one?

That would be interesting to know.

I myself have been faced with this question before, and I think we should try to clarify this by adding a document with some guidelines to Documentation/usb.

So, to get the ball rolling, here are some factors that IMHO help decide in which side to implement a driver:

- if the driver ties a hardware device to an existing in-kernel interface (network, block, serial, bluetooth, video4linux, etc.), it should probably be implemented in-kernel.

- on the other hand, if the driver doesn't use an existing kernel interface and creates a new user-visible interface that is going to be used by a single userspace application, it should probably be done in userspace.

- if it is going to be used by several applications it could still be implemented as a library, but it starts moving into the gray area.

- performance might be a reason to move to kernel space, but I don't think it matters for transfer rates below 10Mbytes/sec or so.

Anyway, this is just MHO, so feel free to discuss this further. I'm simply volunteering to sum up this thread into a patch to add a Documentation/usb/userspace_drivers.txt (or something like that), so that we can help future developers decide where to write their drivers.

--
Paulo Marques - www.grupopie.com

"Very funny Scotty. Now beam up my clothes."