Re: [patch] linux/{socket,stat}.h: change __GLIBC__ cruft to __KLIBC__

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Wed Jan 02 2008 - 13:17:58 EST

Mike Frysinger wrote:

-#if defined(__KERNEL__) || !defined(__GLIBC__) || (__GLIBC__ < 2)
+#if defined(__KERNEL__) || defined(__KLIBC__)
This changes the semantics from "!glibc" to "klibc".

that's the point

I'm a bit worried that such changes might break some of the other
libc's people use on Linux.

such libc's are broken and it isnt the kernel's problem to cater to broken libc's. the problem is that these headers are breaking things *now* for valid libc's that are not glibc. removal of __GBLIC__ was already accepted once but reverted for klibc.
-mike

Either of these really is wrong... it's the userspace which should ask for what should be imported; the kernel shouldn't hard-code which libcs want what.

I just posted a patch to the netdev list which splits the top of <linux/socket.h> out into <linux/sockaddr.h>, userspace can choose to include one or the other.

-hpa