Re: semi-regular plea for stable device mapping

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed Jan 02 2008 - 13:15:40 EST

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Jan 1 2008 10:54, Gene Heskett wrote:
BUT! This defeats a fix I've had in my modprobe.conf for over a year now that gave the LVM stuff a stable major device # of 238, and now my LVM major is back to whatever mood the kernel is in, in this particular bootup case to #253.

It may now be stable for a bit at that number because I see that pktcdvd has been given a stable address of its own, apparently with a major of 10. That was the wedgie that fscked things up originally for me. But what else lurks in the deep end of this experimental pool, to play piranna with us again when we least expect it?

Why exactly would you require a fixed major - not running udev or thelike?
Use the boot parameter, dm_mod.major=238.

What? And what happens when that gets used for something else? And if you say "we'll avoid using that" then you are treating it as a fixed value anyway.

This drives tar up a wall because it uses this device number as part of the file comparisons it does, and it thinks everything is therefore new and needs a full level 0 backup. This is not at all practical, and requires that

I wonder how FreeBSD gets around this, because they've got dynamic numbers
everywhere.

Did they? I haven't tried using tar in the appropriate ways on BSD to see if it behaves in the same way. Of course on a system which doesn't change between backups I guess the dynamic number would be the same in any case.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>