Re: kpowersave stuck at battery charging

From: Andrey Borzenkov
Date: Wed Jan 02 2008 - 08:10:59 EST

On Wednesday 02 January 2008, Alexey Starikovskiy wrote:
> Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
> > This is did not happen before; I am not sure right now what caused this
(i.e.
> > battery aging or some software change) nor whether this is
kernel/HAL/kpowersave
> > issue.
> >
> > kpowersave is stuck at assuming battery is loading and at 94%. Sysfs
displays
> > battery state as Full:
> >

> Frequent battery charging shortens lifetime of the battery, so some (may
> be all now)
> notebook manufacturers do not start charging battery until it discharge
> to some degree (~90%).

I thought Li-Ion batteries do not have memory effect. Actually I remember to
have read recommendation to avoid deep discharges of Li-Ion battery, it was
adviced to charge it as often as possible.

> It could be your case. Please try to discharge battery to, say, 89% and
> then check if it charges to the
> 100%.

That is exactly the question - how do you compute 100%? As far as I can tell the
only possibility is - when battery stops charging. At this point you have to
assume battery is fully charged.

I tried to discharge battery (it was around 78%) and plug AC in again. It went
on Charging until the same limit after that state changed to Full (well, in case
of ACPI battery we really only can state - not (dis-)charging, there is no
special Full state flag); kpowersave still believes battery is not fully
charged. Main interface shows 84% (no Charging) - tooltip states it is being
charged.

POWER_SUPPLY_NAME=BAT1
POWER_SUPPLY_TYPE=Battery
POWER_SUPPLY_STATUS=Full
POWER_SUPPLY_PRESENT=1
POWER_SUPPLY_TECHNOLOGY=Li-ion
POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_MIN_DESIGN=10800000
POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_NOW=11340000
POWER_SUPPLY_CURRENT_NOW=0
POWER_SUPPLY_ENERGY_FULL_DESIGN=38880000
POWER_SUPPLY_ENERGY_FULL=37530000
POWER_SUPPLY_ENERGY_NOW=35640000
POWER_SUPPLY_MODEL_NAME=XM2038P04
POWER_SUPPLY_MANUFACTURER=

This would indicate that my battery lost 6% of capacity in new year, but
question still remains - how should user tools properly calculate charge level?