Re: sata_nv + ADMA + Samsung disk problem

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Wed Jan 02 2008 - 01:40:40 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:
Tejun Heo wrote:
Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation. Nvidia ppl, any ideas?
FLUSH is used regularly. We really need to fix this.

I reiterate my opinion :) ... We should remove ADMA support from sata_nv. It's only in a few chips, it's not appearing in any new chips, and nasty problems have lingered since ADMA support was introduced.

Definitely sounds like we should disable ADMA by default for 2.6.24-rc, too.

I wouldn't agree.. It's only in a few chips (CK804/MCP04), but those chips are very common in desktop, workstation, even some server machines. Given the huge number of these chips out there, problem reports have been quite rare.