Re: Major regression on hackbench with SLUB (more numbers)

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Tue Jan 01 2008 - 10:18:18 EST

> Yeah, unfortunately, querying to find out how much memory is being
> used by which parts of the system is something which I think needs to
> be more than just a debugging feature. One could argue that "vmstat",

slabinfo is about querying kernel internals and requiring stable
and permanent interfaces to that would imply freezing the kernel
internals.

People who want to have information about slabs and other similar
kernel internal allocations will always have to deal with version
dependencies.

No way around that.

> Perhaps /proc/slabinfo should be that relatively stable interface, if

That would require at least never changing any slab caches in any
subsystem. Obviously not an option.

-Andi