Re: [Patch 1/8] UML: Remove 'TOPDIR' from Makefiles

From: Sam Ravnborg
Date: Tue Jan 01 2008 - 05:49:51 EST

On Tue, Jan 01, 2008 at 11:33:42AM +0100, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 01, 2008 at 03:18:46PM +0800, WANG Cong wrote:
> >
> > TOPDIR is obsolete, use objtree instead.
> > This patch removes TOPDIR from all UML Makefiles.
> >

> I do not feel confident with these changes.
> In some places I had expected to see srctree and not objtree.
> I would like to see this tested before applying it.
>
> Building a ppc toolchain now to test it...

It seems that building a ppc based um kernel is not supported
in mainline.
Kconfig.ppc is missing and when creating it um build fails
in sys-ppc/ due to user-offset.c is missing.

As most of your patch touches ppc specific code I suggest
to just replace TOPDIR with srctree all over (no semantic change)
and the the um people can figure out the ppc stuff when they get to it.

Sam