Re: HSM violation errors

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Wed Dec 26 2007 - 01:57:59 EST

Jeff Mitchell wrote:
I'm seeing errors in dmesg and the like. It appears to be somewhat
similar to the issue reported here:
http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-kernel/2007/8/25/164711 except
that my machine doesn't freeze, and everything seems normal --
hopefully nothing like silent corruption is going on. Also it's on
brand new hardware...Intel ICH8 mobile chipset with AHCI. Output from
dmesg, hdparm -I /dev/sda and hdparm --drq-hsm-error /dev/sda is
below...please let me know if there's anything else that would be of
use (and, of course, if this is something I should be worried about
:-) ).

Thanks.
Jeff

dmesg:

ata1.00: exception Emask 0x2 SAct 0xfffd SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen
ata1.00: spurious completions during NCQ issue=0x1 SAct=0xfffd
FIS=005040a1:00000002

You didn't say what kernel you were using, but in the latest kernels this spurious completion check was removed since it was broken, so this error shouldn't happen anymore.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx