No error when inotify_add_watch(/an/NFS/file)

From: Phil Endecott
Date: Fri Nov 23 2007 - 19:02:35 EST

Dear Experts,

NFS doesn't work with inotify (and it looks like it can't, certainly not before NFS v4.1). However, if I give an NFS filename to inotify_add_watch(), I don't get an error.

If it indicated an error in this case then I could easily fall back to some sort of polling. Without an error, I need some other way to detect NFS (and any other non-inotify-compatible filesystems).

Any thoughts?

Phil.

(If you Cc: me in any replies I'll see them sooner.)