Re: [ANN] Squashfs 3.3 released

From: Dave Jones
Date: Tue Nov 20 2007 - 18:51:23 EST

On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 04:32:00PM +0000, Phillip Lougher wrote:
> maximilian attems wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 11:13:14AM +0000, Phillip Lougher wrote:
> >
> >> The next stage after this release is to fix the one remaining blocking issue
> >> (filesystem endianness), and then try to get Squashfs mainlined into the
> >> Linux kernel again.
> >>

> > that would be very cool!
>
> Yes, it would be cool :) Five years is a long time to maintain
> something out of tree, especially recently when there's been
> so many minor changes to the VFS interface between kernel releases.
>
> > with my hat as debian kernel maintainer i'd be very relieved to see it
> > mainlined. i don't know of any major distro that doesn't ship it.
> >

> I don't know of any major distro that doesn't ship Squashfs either
> (except arguably Slackware). Putting my other hat on (one of the
> Ubuntu kernel maintainers) I don't think Squashfs has caused
> distros that many problems because it is an easy patch to apply
> (it doesn't touch that many kernel files), but it is always good
> to minimise the differences from the stock kernel.org kernel.

The biggest problem we've seen with it (asides from having to rediff
it every time we rebase when there isn't a newer upstream) is complaints
along the lines of "my Fedora 7 kernel can't unpack squashfs images
from Fedora 5"
(s/Fedora 5/other random older distros/ )

If the format is now stable however, it would be great to get it upstream.

Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk