Re: Is there any word about this bug in gcc ?

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Tue Nov 20 2007 - 01:49:43 EST

Herbert Xu wrote:
David Miller <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Because the compiler knows things about the inputs and can
thus apply optimizations that a static implementation in glibc
that has to handle all forms of inputs cannot.

On an unrelated note, I wonder if distros will be treating this
with the same level of urgency as security vulnerabilities,
especially in light of Shamir's recent note on maths errors.

This one is definitely messy. There is absolutely no way to know what gcc has miscompiled. It looks to me that both gcc 4.2 and 4.3 are affected, any others?

-hpa