Re: Power Saving

From: Dave Jones
Date: Mon Nov 19 2007 - 19:54:55 EST

On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 07:41:31PM -0500, Stephen Clark wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I am trying to get throttling to work on the following processor

I think by throttling, you actually mean changing frequency/voltage ?
(throttling is something else, where the CPU skips every n cycles,
which doesn't actually save any power)

> with linux 2.6.17-1.2142_FC4 with no luck.

wow. that's a prehistoric kernel.

> AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700+

you lose. Only the mobile athlons supported scaling their speed.
And even then, only if the BIOS supported it with the correct tables.
(Typically this means, "only laptops").

Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk