Re: How to disable ECC with bootparam ?

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw
Date: Fri Nov 16 2007 - 18:31:53 EST

On Sat, 2007-11-17 00:20:20 +0100, Xavier Bestel <xavier.bestel@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have replaced my machine with another one which gives many ECC errors.
> At first sight they may be pessimistic because memtest (with ECC off)
> doesn't find anything (I'm letting run it overnight, I'll see tomorrow
> morning if it really didn't find anything).
> I'd like to let it run without thoses ECC messages (which slow it down
> pretty much), but

Erm...

"ECC" means there are extra bits that, with small amount of errors,
allow to recalculate the initial value.

If you're getting error messages with ECC errors, that means that your
RAM really looses its contents. You should fix your machine. (Check
that eg. timings are correct with RAM's specification, ...)

You're on risk. Really.

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@xxxxxxxxxx +49-172-7608481
Signature of: Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf