Re: kernel processes - are they really needed?

From: Matthias Kaehlcke
Date: Wed Oct 31 2007 - 13:11:02 EST

El Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 05:01:42PM +0100 Jan Kara ha dit:

> > When i do ps -l. i see the following processes which are obviously
> > started by kernel.
> >
> > Could any one tell me what each of these processes do and can
> > anyone of them can be removed.?
> I'll write what I know :)

i'll also put my 0.5 cents :)

> > PID Uid VmSize Stat Command
> > 1 root 584 S init
> > 2 root SWN [ksoftirqd/0]

executes (on CPU 0) the deferred parts of interrupt routines (bottom
halves), i.e. softirqs and tasklets. bad candidate for removal imo

> > 3 root SW [watchdog/0]
> > 4 root SW< [events/0]

this one is in charge of executing deferred functions placed in the
default work queue. also a bad candidate for removal

--
Matthias Kaehlcke
Linux Application Developer

If you don't know where you are going,
you will probably end up somewhere else
(Laurence J. Peter)
.''`.
using free software / Debian GNU/Linux | http://debian.org : :' :
`. `'`
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 47D8E5D4 `-