Bootup support for watchdog with short timeout (touch_nmi_watchdog()?)

From: Stefan Roese
Date: Mon Oct 29 2007 - 10:22:40 EST

I'm trying to implement support for a board specific watchdog on a PPC440EPx
board with a very short timeout. In this case, the watchdog has to
be "kicked" at least every 100ms, even while booting and the real watchdog
driver not running yet. While looking for trigger places in the kernel
source, I noticed the already existing "touch_nmi_watchdog()" function, which
seems to be doing what I need. Even if the name not exactly matches my
hardware setup.

My question now is, is it recommended to use this
touch_nmi_watchdog() "infrastructure" for my PPC custom specific watchdog
during bootup? And if yes, should it perhaps be renamed to a more generic
name, like "touch_watchdog"?

Please advise. Thanks.

Best regards,
Stefan