Re: [RFC] full suspend/resume support for i915 DRM driver

From: Greg KH
Date: Fri Oct 26 2007 - 01:12:17 EST

On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 04:53:18PM -0700, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> Ok, here's yet another version that uses the device model for the
> suspend/resume, rather than pci hooks.
>
> Greg, DRM desperately needs review of its device model usage, can you
> take a look at this patch and the current drm_sysfs.c code? Right now,
> we're mixing class_devices and regular devices (the latter seem to be
> required for suspend/resume to work correctly), but this seems wrong.
> Any ideas? Should we just rip out the class_device stuff and create
> full-on DRM device nodes?

The class_device stuff is already ripped out in the latest -mm trees and
I will be forwarding that change on for 2.6.25 after 2.6.24 is out. So
yes, it should be taken away :)

But converting from class_device to struct device does not mean you use
a "device node". But you could if you want to :)

Other than that, the driver model usage isn't the best, but I think the
majority of the major issues are fixed up now, especially with the
removal of class_device. Is there anything specific you are curious
about?

thanks,

greg k-h