Re: [patch] sched: schedstat needs a diet

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Oct 17 2007 - 03:23:38 EST

* Ken Chen <kenchen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> schedstat is useful in investigating CPU scheduler behavior. Ideally,
> I think it is beneficial to have it on all the time. However, the
> cost of turning it on in production system is quite high, largely due
> to number of events it collects and also due to its large memory
> footprint.
>
> Most of the fields probably don't need to be full 64-bit on 64-bit
> arch. Rolling over 4 billion events will most like take a long time
> and user space tool can be made to accommodate that. I'm proposing
> kernel to cut back most of variable width on 64-bit system. (note,
> the following patch doesn't affect 32-bit system).

thanks, applied.

note that current -git has a whole bunch of new schedstats fields in
/proc/<PID>/sched which can be used to track the exact balancing
behavior of tasks. It can be cleared via echoing 0 to the file - so
overflow is not an issue. Most of those new fields should probably be
unsigned int too. (they are u64 right now.)

Ingo