Re: Lossy interrupts on x86_64

From: Jesse Barnes
Date: Mon Sep 17 2007 - 15:14:31 EST

On Wednesday, September 12, 2007, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> does it make any difference when you boot the box with:
>
> nohz=off
>
> on the kernel command line ?

Yeah, that makes a difference: the box hangs when I start receiving
vblank interrupts instead. However it's not a hard hang, I think X
just becomes unresponsive. I can still hit the power button on the
laptop and the machine shuts down gracefully, but ctl-alt-delete and
ctl-alt-backspace don't work. So X is probably still up and in charge
of input but may not be getting any more timeslices or something.

So to summarize:

2.6.23-rc5: works
2.6.23-0.171.rc5.git1.fc8 w/o boot options: lossy interrupts
2.6.23-0.171.rc5.git1.fc8 nohz=off: hang when starting 3d apps using
vblank interrupts

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you, I've been out of range
for a few days...

Thanks,
Jesse