Ideas on column length in kernel "problem"?

From: Scott Thompson
Date: Wed Aug 22 2007 - 23:54:55 EST

I haven't seen any recent solutions to this "problem"...

Many free (and not-free) mail clients wordwrap. Hushmail wraps at
68 (verified), Yahoo has options to wrap at a max of 99, and Gmail
was somewhere around 85-90 as I recall. Not sure on other free /
inexpensive clients.

However, several code modules have code lines with column lengths
well over 80 (the worst I have seen was 211). This prevents people
with "minimal function" email clients (I'm being generous) from
making changes in the area of these long code lines, or from even
submitting fixes for the line length problem in modules themselves.

I don't have an easy solution short of finding volunteer(s) who can
submit patches to resolve this or peer-pressuring module owners
into resolving, so opening this issue up to the list for ideas
here. In the meantime I'll run a quick review to assess just how
many changes this would be ...

Note -- I am well aware that us 'poor users' could just 'get a real
email service', and if anyone knows of a free/inexpensive mail
client that will be able to handle the wordwrap requirements for
the current state of the linux tree please advise.